March-ing ahead in Savannah, from ‘The Book’ to ‘The Parade’
March in Savannah is filled with excitement each and every year. It starts with the anticipation of the biggest party of the year: Savannah’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade (one of the largest in the world!). Besides the main event, there are many other fantastic reasons to head on down to Savannah in March. We’ve compiled 7 of our favorite March activities and events below.
1. A Party with John Berendt—March 3, Jepson Center for the Arts, 6-8pm. Mr. Berendt, author and Pulitzer Prize nominee for Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, will be in the mixing with the crowd and is scheduled to “make very brief remarks from the Eckberg Atrium grand staircase at 6:30pm,” according to Visit Savannah’s Event Calendar. Clary’s Café will also be offering free appetizers and Jamie Davis and the Equinox Trio will also be on hand, playing tunes from Johnny Mercer and more. Tickets are free for Museum Members, $5 for non-members.
2. Savannah Stopover Music Festival—March 5-7, various locations downtown. Stopover is now in its 5th year of providing amazing musical talent throughout a slew of venues all over the Historic District. Many artists are on their way to Austin, TX, for the SXSW concert series, and Savannah just happens to be on the way for many. This is a 3-day, musical smorgasbord of up-and-coming talent, like Family and Friends, Tall Tall Trees, and Generationals. It’s also a showcase of some of Savannah’s best local bands, including Cusses, Triathalon and Velvet Underground. You see the full lineup of bands here. Tickets still available here.
3. Sweets on the Street—March 6-7, River Street. Get your sweet tooth ready, Savannah! This event kicks off First Fridays events this year, and its all about the sweets. From cookies, cupcakes and artisan chocolates, local confectioners will be on River Street all weekend displaying, teaching and selling their delicious creations. Friday’s event (4-10pm) will include fireworks presented by Wet Willies.
4. Craft Brew Race and Festival—March 15 Come for the 5k, stay for the craft beer! This event is going to be a huge success in Savannah. The race begins outside of the Savannah International Trade & Convention Center, and the beer festival will commence there as well from 12:30-4pm. Runners should make sure that they check in with The Traveler Beer Company’s tent by the registration table. They are giving away swag, a trophy and $100 gift card for the best Costume at the race. You shouldn’t miss these breweries if you go: Monday Night Brewing, Terrapin Brewing, Dogfish Head and 21st Amendment. Don’t forget the local guys either: Moon River, Southbound, Coastal Empire and Service Brewing!
5. St. Patrick’s Day Parade—March 17, Downtown 10:15am-10pm. This is, of course, the main event in March in Savannah. Obviously, it can get a little on the crazy side, so our best advice would be to get up early, stake out a parade spot, enjoy yourself and some cocktails, but don’t linger downtown too long after the parade if you dislike crowds.
6. Savannah Music Festival—March 19-April 4, various venues and times. Bluegrass, chamber music, jazz, Zydecho, opera and more—the Savannah Music Festival pairs world-class artists with intimate venues. From Rock n’ Roll Hall of Famer and GRAMMY Lifetime Achievement winner Mavis Staples, to multi-talented Lucinda Williams, to swing jazz with the Sean Jones Quartet, the level of talent and mix of genres makes for an incredible 17 days of music, artistry and originality.
7.Irish Road Bowling—March 21, Hutchinson Island Racetrack, 10am. For the 5th year in a row, the Ancient Order of Hibernians of Savannah will hold the most enjoyable bookend to the St. Patrick’s Day celebrations: The AOH Savannah Irish Road Bowling Tournament. The contest is relatively simple. You and two team members take turns rolling a 28-oz steel ball around the racetrack on Hutchinson Island (behind The Westin). It scores like golf, so the lowest score at the end is the winner. The AOH also donates all the procedes to local charities. Click here for signup and other information.